Friday, June 11, 2010

Ordered SheevaPlug

So I went ahead and put in an order for a SheevaPlug. They say it will take "2-3 weeks" from order date. I ignored the GuruPlugs because of the reported heat problems. I may use the SheevaPlug as a "more reliable/powerful" network interface for physical computing systems like Arduino that can hang off of its USB. I may also use it as an el-cheapo "meet-in-the-middle" server for PHY2PHY projects.

No sooner had I ordered the SheevaPlug did I see a neat mini-systemboard ALIX3d2. LAN / 2 miniPCI / LX800 / 256 MB / USB / 500 MHz AMD Geode LX800, $99. Needs an external DC power supply. But, hmmm.

Then I saw the Mini2440. Also in the $100 department, it has a 405 MHz Samsung S3C2440A ARM920T chip, a 3.5″ touch screen display, 2MB NOR flash, 64MB SRAM, and 128MB NAND flash, Ethernet, USB, COM, audio out. It comes preinstalled with Linux 2.6.3 and a Qtopia graphics. There seems to be a version without the touch screen a bit cheaper here. And it appears to have a cheap camera available as well. And, oh yeah, it has 8‐channel 10 bit A/D converter with sample and hold, and a bunch of digital GPIOs (more info here). And here is a video of the GPIO at work. This sounds like an awesome system for PHY2PHY projects, it could be its own webcam and webcam display as well.


No comments: